Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Free ESL Lesson Plans

With the start of the 2012 academic year in South Korea coming up in March, I thought that I would include some lessons and links for Guest English Teachers / Native English Teachers to use. My first year of teaching English (2008-9)  involved an elementary school called Songnae in Bucheon and I will post some materials that I created for my after school programs in the future. My second year of teaching English (2009-10) was at the Beopseong Vocational High School and I designed lessons for curricular and after school programs. There were three grades, 1st-3rd and for each grade there were five classes. I taught first and second year students as by the third year, English was not on the curriculum. Consequently, there were ten classes that I saw twice per week and interviewed each student three times (once per term). I also wrote the exam questions pertaining to my classes and my co-teachers wrote the exam questions that related to their text book lessons. My lessons were loosely based on the text book chapters, but I was expected to create my own teaching materials, etc., as my co-teachers relied very heavily on the text content. In Bucheon and in Beopseong (also spelled Bupsung), I used Teacher’s Corner as a resource to create word searches, fill in the blanks and crossword puzzles to support my lessons and reinforce the vocabulary.

A special second year student, Hyung Sun, was a gifted artist and every class I handed my worksheets (or plain paper) and a pen or pencil for him to use. At the end of class I would shut down the data projector and say goodbye to the students and I would find a worksheet turned over on Hyung Sun's desk or on mine and lo' and behold, on the flipside would be an incredible illustration of a bus station or subway. The signs were in English and Hangul. His sister is an artist too and when I inquired about his plans after third year, his homeroom teacher assured me that he would be going to work with his sister. I was relieved to learn that. Many of my students would work for Samsung, LG, Kia and Hyundai in factory compounds on the other side of South Korea after finishing high school. Some of his artwork may be viewed below.

Make Your Own Worksheets

Teens Inspiring Teens

High School (1st and 2nd Year) Interview and Exam Questions

Hyung Sun's Artwork

Open Class Lesson Plans